Monday, October 25, 2010

A shameless plug.

You know... I'm just a one-man show. I do all of the marketing, updates to my website, accounting, taxes, purchasing, mixing of paint, painting of murals... and making phone calls. It isn't glamourous, but I do enjoy what I do... mostly. Plus, because my home office is sometimes in the dedicated office; sometimes in the kitchen; and a lot of the time in the bedroom on a card table... it gives me a lot of time to be with my kids while they are growing up, and love it. When I was growing up, my dad would be gone long before before I'd wake up.. and I remember I couldn't wait for him to arrive home from work so we could play catch with the baseball. My kids see me so much that they can't wait for me to fly out again on another painting trip. Nah... I don't take it personal. I sometimes can't wait to leave either.


I commute to work a couple of times a month by catching a ride (from my wife) to the airport and then taking a flight to various locations somewhere between the Atlantic and the Pacific. Can I just say right now that Houston in the middle of summer is not the perfect place for me? Winter is great... but not summer! :-)


So, what I am getting at (finally) is this... I work my little painting business from the, sometimes, comfort of my home, where kids are screaming (did I mention they are home schooled and home all the time?) or wanting my attention, my wife is always close by with her long list of honey-do's... and a dog that needs a little attention now and then. So how is it that these national media outlets like the Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine, Angie's List magazine, Affluent magazine, HGTV, the Fine Living network and then this week, Unique Homes magazine all find out about me? Dang, I've even had an Interior Decorator, who has a national Home Improvement show, tell me that whenever I'm in her area... to let her know because she wants to put me (my product really) on the show. Now I'm thinking that that could be really detrimental to my business if I were to appear (Maybe I can hire an actor to play my part???).


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By nightskymurals at 2010-10-25


Now I'm not complaining in the least. I love the exposure from these outlets... and I have worked my backside off to create a great product and to keep my customers happy. But as I think back on all of the great exposure... it blows me away. I mean, I have no real talent... not even at art, yet I make a living as an artist and I get written up in national publications and on TV. What a country!


But, let me say this - when it comes to creating a realistic, star-filled night sky... I will challenge any "real" artist to paint a better mural than this "non-artist" can. But, the challenge only extends to the night sky. After that... my 5 year old can run circles around me in artistic ability.


So, thanks to all of the media outlets for the confidence to run your articles and video spots about my company! I don't understand it... but I love it and I'll take it any day!


Here is the latest from Unique Homes magazine...


Unique Homes magazine article


Hey... why hasn't Oprah called yet?

No comments: