Friday, September 17, 2010

Painting a Night Sky Mural on top of another mural. No problem!

Something that I have loved doing for years, but don't get the chance to do much, is to paint a night sky mural on top of another ceiling mural. The effect is great!


I've painted on top of giant suns, trees, victorian and brick looking murals in the past, as well as a few other types. But, my favorite mural to paint over is one that looks like a day-sky. When the lights are on, my night sky mural is invisible and the customer only sees the day-sky mural.


(Here's a mural that I painted over (on top of) in Houston. It is a great looking day-sky mural that the customer had a friend of his paint the week before I arrived there. At the end of the chem-trail at the bottom of the mural, is a very realistic jet. Very nice!)


As you can see from the picture above, the night sky mural is not visible. All that you can see is the really nice day sky, a few clouds floating by, and a jet flying through it. This mural is in the center of a theater room, which has no windows, so it seems to open up the room when the lights are on.


But, when the lights go out, something amazing happens. As the room goes dark, the day-sky mural disappears and the night sky begins to appear right before your eyes. The reason I say "begins to appear" is because when the lights go out, your eyes are still adapted to the light.


(This picture is if the same mural as I showed you above, only with the lights out. Let me say that there are many, many more stars in this mural than you can see from the picture, but the camera has a very hard time picking them up. When you are standing there, underneath this mural... it is truly an amazing thing to see! Not just my mural... but the two of them together.)




But, as your eyes start to adjust to the dark, like magic, you start seeing a few of the constellation stars appear before your once blind eyes. Then, a few seconds later, you will see a hundred, or so, more stars appear. Let a minute go by and you will see thousands of stars, then the Milky Way, a shooting star and even a crescent moon. Once that happens, your jaw will drop and you will stand there drooling in amazement. OK, you might not drool, but I have had more than one customer actually cry as they watched the night sky appearing before them... because, as they told me, it was so realistic and they just couldn't believe what they were seeing. And, it gets a little awkward when it's a large, hardened man that is the one doing the crying.


Well, there you have it. Can I paint my Night Sky Murals over another mural? Absolutely! The murals, coming to life when the lights go out on a normal, painted ceiling, are amazing enough. But, add another mural to the mix and it is beyond words. You're starting to tear up just imagining it, aren't you? :-)


Oh, if you want to see both murals together, or if you don't have another mural on your ceiling... but want to see some of the stars in low light, then I can use a special blend of my paint and you can see the stars with some light on in the room too.


(Click on the picture to get a better view of both murals. Again, there are many more stars in this mural than the camera can pick up. But, your eyes have no problem picking them up)




Have questions? Contact me and ask away.

No comments: